Apart from sorting gear and dealing with other normal life stuff, I have been increasing my walk frequency and distances as well as backpack loads. Most days are a minimum of 5km these days with an occasional longer walk thrown in. Yesterday’s walk rated at 21.1km with 955m ascent on RunKeeper via the iPhone, but after exporting as GPX and importing that file into www.shareyouradventure.com my efforts were somehow trimmed to a measly 16.9km and 698m ascent 🙁
Never mind, it was a solid walk with 6kg carried and lots of variable terrain, pretty close to an average challenge day in terms of distance and elevation gain. Time taken was about 5 hours including breaks for an average over all pace of a little over 4kph. Weather conditions were pretty much ideal although it started getting warmer after midday.
1. Trailstar has turned up and has been seam sealed. Still waiting for the Oookstar, that should arrive around March.
2. I’m rethinking footwear. The Salomon Synapse WP have failed a couple of points: Laces are not repairable in the field, or replaceable with normal laces; and the ventilation is quite poor resulting in stinky feet after only a few days to a level that I have never suffered before. I’ll be wearing gaiters for part of the trip, and I cannot discount the possibility of lace failure around the front attachment hook (it hooks onto the laces) My Fastpackers are too worn to complete the trip, so I need some new shoes. I’m waiting on a pair of Salomon Comet 3D GTX which I think fit the bill. Will update in due course.
3. Route has been vetted and fine-tuned to vetter’s excellent suggestions. I have to send in the final updated route sheet, but otherwise it’s all done.
Edit Feb 7th: Updated Route sheet submitted.
4. Europe airfares are booked. Still working on the post-challenge arrangements, hire cars and intra-Europe flights.
5. Still mulling over camera gear for the Challenge. Plenty of time yet.
6. Preliminary arrangements for food is done. I will have 3 pickup points: Drumnadrotchit, Aviemore, and Ballater.
7. January was a wipe-out for walking training with just 70km completed. February has been cooler and 40km completed so far.
258 Activities for the calendar year, totaling 1491.5km Average per activity 5.8km, average per day 4.08km. Pretty much the same total result as 2011 but the monthly mix has changed. August was a bit of a wipeout with only 5 activities, time spent in the snow doesn’t count as walking. 🙂 January 2013 has been low on distance due to the extreme temperatures at the beginning of 2013 bringing the average distance per walk for this month to only 2.3km.
If the weather doesn’t settle down I will have to attack the rowing machine and the gym to maintain fitness for the TGO Challenge.